Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Win32::StreamNames

A truly excelent new module has just appeared on CPAN, named Win32::StreamNames. It returns a list of file stream names for a specified file.

OK, I'll come clean. Yes it's one of mine. I was proudly showing off my blanket trick (see below) to another QA instructor when he said "I suppose you use a stream". Well, aside from a small river, a stream to me is an IO channel, or maybe a Unix device driver STREAM. This is neither. Enhanced at NTFS5 at Windows NT 5, correction, Windows 2000 ;-), a Windows File object points to Stream control blocks, which can include a Named stream. The names are of the form file-name:stream-name:$DATA. They are not normally visible to Windows Explorer, the dir command, Perl globbing, or readdir (using Win32 API). BackupRead Win32 API can retrieve the stream names, although it is not easy to use. Hence the module.

See it at your local CPAN mirror today! http://cpan.search.org

No comments: