Wednesday, October 19, 2005

EuroOSCON - whatever. Is Perl 6 too complex?

I asked the main man, yer actual Larry Wall, this question. Poor guy - he is a very nice chap - thought he was just signing a book for me. There was no one else around, so I consulted the oracle (I won't use an uppercase O, you'll get the wrong idea).

Q. Will Perl 6 still be suitable for guys who just want a better language that ksh or .bat files?
A. The easy things will still be easy

Q. Will Perl 6 still be suitable for sys.admin's?
A. Hey! I'm still a sys.admin.
Me: No you are not, you are a language demi-god.
A. Shrug. Sys.Admins will still be able to use it.
Q. Are you saying that because that is what I want to hear?
A. Sys.Admins will still be able to use it.

Thank-you very much.
We also discussed training strategies for Perl 6, and even for Perl 5, and I wasn't that hard on him. Larry Wall is a very nice chap (oh, I said that).

No comments: